Thursday 15 March 2018

Mixed media layout....using Silhouette Stencil Material

This week the Design Team were asked to showcase Silhouette Stencil Material. I have never used this medium before on my cameo so was keen to give it a try.

I own several stencils but often find it difficult to find the perfect one for the job I have in mind.  Other Silhouette Cameo users had made stencils from materials bought online but they seemed very flimsy and apparently didn't cut very well. So I had never tried to make my own.

I used was the non-adhesive stencil material and it comes in A4 sized sheets. There are many ready to use stencils available in the Silhouette Design Store and I chose this one...


...four for the price of one!

I also made a simple stencil with lines and dots, placed it on my design page and added the cross style stencil (top right above) as well.


I used the settings for stencil material on the software and it cut perfectly.

After using paint and ink on white cardstock and allowing time for it to dry I applied heavy gesso through the cross stencil in 2 areas on my page (stuck down with washi tape to minimise movement and smudginess)


Ending up with this effect...



I built up the layout with patterned papers, a photo and letter stickers


not easy to see the stencilling but it adds great texture and more interest to the page


the stencil material cut easily, was easy to work with and can definitely be re-used, this is the washed stencil ready for the next layout (and the other stencil I made). 


I loved making my own stencils and would recommend this material as it is such good quality and I will definitely be using it again...plus I have the adhesive one to try too...I will report back to you on that.

Please let me know if you have made any of your own stencils would love to see how they came out

Have fun

Ruth xxx

1 comment:

  1. The stencil material looks great - I'm inspired to make some stencils of my own!

    ReplyDelete