Thursday 28 September 2017

Dream Big Layout: Creating Stitched Offsets



Hello! Niki here again with a tutorial on creating stitched offsets. I started off by choosing a hot air balloon file from the Design Store. I opened it and it appeared like this.

I enlarged all the pieces and and then wanted to add an outline.

Instead of creating an offset here I simply added the outline shape that came with the cut file around the pieces.

I then dealt with the basket part of the balloon. It was in a few different pieces and I wanted to simplify them a little and weld them all together. 

I had to fiddle around with this a little bit, but basically I placed them all on top of each other, and then clicked 'divide'. I was then able to remove the bits I didn't want whilst keeping the outline. 


I then wanted to keep the internal stripes solid, but the outline around the whole shape to be a stitched line. So I simply highlighted it and changed the line style to a perforated edge.

With my outline sorted, I could now work on all the middle bits. I wanted to cut each one out of a different coloured paper and create stitch lines within each one.  I selected the first stripe, created an internal offset and then changed the offset line to the perforated style. I did this for each stripe. I also grouped each stripe individually together with it's internal offset so I could move them around.

I kept my whole design in tact here and simply copied the stripes. I pasted them to one side for now.

I then removed all solid lines. This is becuase I wanted all stitch perforations to be also cut directly into my background. I was then able to send this design to cut on a white cardstock background sheet.

Moving on to the stripes (together with their perforations) I arranged these onto a new mat in a way that I could cut each from a different coloured paper.

Once everything was cut, I could then stick my hot air balloon stripes in the right place onto my background (carefully lining up the holes) and then add my stitching. I stitched the outline too. The result is fabulous! I love how it turned out.



Thanks so much for checking this out - it's a little complicated but if you love to add stitching to your cut files then give this a go, the results are always stunning.

Happy scrapping xxx

Find me designing for Freckled Fawn, Just Nick, Hey Little Magpie, GoGo Getaway, Silhouette UK, Stick it Down, and UK Scrap Addicts. Also on my own blog: Being Scrappy and on Instagram as @nikiclaire

DESIGNS USED:


PRODUCTS USED:

No comments:

Post a Comment