Monday 15 May 2017

Unicorn Treat Boxes



I happened to see these Unicorn Treat Boxes in the Design Store and instantly knew I'd have to make these for my daughter's 6th birthday party.

Upon opening the design however, I was faced with this:

Goodness, that looks complicated! I opened it several times and closed it, putting it off for another day. When I could delay no more, I decided I needed a sensible method of tackling a design like this. My first thought was cut everything on one sheet of card and figure it out from there, but then I figured I could probably manage the same thing on screen, with the aid of colour-coding.

So I opened the Fill Colour window. I also opened the Silhouette Design Store in another window on my PC so that I could flick back and fourth between looking at the image of the completed box, and with all the separate pieces on my cutting mat. I started off by ungrouping the image which ungrouped it into a few more groups, and I had to ungroup those too to have each piece separate.  I could then work out which colour each one should be. I started off with bright pink and selected each one I though should be bright pink and filled them.

This is what I ended up with. It was quite simple really and now it makes total sense! I was now able to arrange the items that all needed to be the same colour together on their own mats so that I could cut several at at time.



And once I'd cut enough bits to make ten of these, me and my nearly 6-year old sat and glued them all together. We also added Silhouette glitter to the unicorn horns and a pretty silver bow. We filled them with sweeties and popped them in her party bags and she told all her friends that she made them. No mention of help from mummy lol

Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope that if you come across a design that initially looks complicated, that you can now un-complicate it by using this Fill Colour method.

Instagram: @nikiclaire



Designs Used

PRODUCTS USED:


No comments:

Post a Comment