Tuesday 23 May 2017

Making a Cake Topper


Hi Silhouetters, Niki here with you today with a little tutorial on how to make a cake topper. I made a Unicorn cake for my daughter's 6th birthday and I wanted her name in gold glitter over the top.

I began by choosing a font (Sailaway) and writing her name with the text tool.

I ungrouped so the letters were sepatate, and I nudged them altogether so they overlapped and then I welded. I forgot the dot over the 'i' so also moved that down so it overlapped too and re-welded.

I was worried that my word would be too thin so I fattened it up a bit by applying a small offset. I deleted the middle file and kept the outline only.

I then copied and pasted so that I had two exactly the same.

and then I highlighted the second one and went to 'Object, Mirror, Flip Horizontally' so that I got a mirror image.

 Now I was ready to cut. I was cutting on glitter cardstock that was quite thick so I set the blade setting quite high and selected double cut. It didn't quite cut through so without unloading, I sent it through the machine again (still on double cut) and then it peeled off beautifully.

 Then all I had to do was stick the two together, but with two BBQ skewers sandwiched in-between so that I could poke them in the cake.

Here was the finished cake, complete with topper and I also cut '6 today' to lay around the base of the cake too.



Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope that in your cake-topper making endeavours in the future, you find this useful!

Happy scrapping

Instagram: @nikiclaire

Designs Used
Sail Away Font

PRODUCTS USED:


No comments:

Post a Comment