Friday 23 September 2016

Faux Painted Wooden Box



Hello, Karen here with an idea on how to use Silhouette Printable Tattoo Paper in a different way.  I have to confess that the original idea of using it to decorate wooden boxes wasn't mine but I so loved the effect that I decided to give it a go.

You will need:-
Silhouette Printable Tattoo Paper
Wooden Box (I got mine for £3.00 from The Works)
Printer
Cameo/Curio/Portrait.

STEP 1 - Making The Design

  • Open your design on a Letter sized page. Ungroup the design, select the printed part and the cut line and in the MODIFY window click INTERSECT. This will remove all the excess white around your shape. 
  • You now have to add the cut line back into the design and this is done using the OFFSET option under the OBJECT menu.  

  • I chose 0.05 as the distance I wanted my offset to be.
  • Next I copied, just the coloured part of my design  and grouped the original design and cut line. Under the SCALE menu made the new one 1.5 ins high.
  • In the REPLICATE menu duplicated this so that I had 5 flowers and then grouped them.  I added a cut line as above and then duplicated them below to give me two sets of flower borders. 
  • Under the REGISTRATION MARKS menu I chose TYPE 1 to add registration marks to my document and arranged the designs to ensure that all of the printed and cut areas were inside the designated area.
  • The final step in this part of the process was mirror my design, under the OBJECT menu at the top left of your drawing area and to print out my design onto Temporary Tattoo paper and cut it out on my Silhouette as instructed on the tattoo paper packaging. 

STEP 2 - Applying To Your Box

  • I simply followed the instructions on the packaging making sure to carefully align my row of flowers on the side of my box.  
This was a quick and easy project resulting in a very pretty box which I am going to fill with sweet treats as part of my Mum's birthday present.







DESIGNS USED:


PRODUCTS USED:

2 comments:

  1. Your finished box looks beautiful Karen. I'd love to try this - did you need to prepare the box in any way before applying the transfer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Janet - no prep other than giving it a quick dust to remove any sawdust that may have been left during production of the box.

    ReplyDelete