Thursday 28 July 2016

Turning sketched posters from black and white to ombre watercolours

Turning printed posters from black and white to ombre watercolours


Hiiii Caroline here with another tutorial for you.

Word posters are bang on trend at the moment and the silhouette store does not let you down. There are a ton of printable posters available. You can simply print them in black and white as they are or you can turn them into a poster that you can colour in.

The file I worked with was this one...


I love the words on this and thought it would be perfect to have in one of the children's bedrooms as a little reminder to 'be good and kind'.

The first thing I did was to change the page set up by clicking n the open page settings window on the top right and changing it to these settings as my watercolour paper was A4 size, as was the frame I wanted to pop it in to...


I then made my poster the size I wanted it to be on my mat...


The next step is to click on the text and select object then trace...


Then you will see a box appears on the right, at the top of the box is the select trace area, click that and then create a box over the entire wording, be sure to catch it all...


Then also check the box marked high pass filter, you want there to be a tick in that box...



Then in the apply trace area section on the right, click the top one saying trace....


Now you can drag off the top black layer of the poster and click delete as you don't need that any more...


 You are left with an outline. I also added in a couple of hearts but you can add in any additional images you like...



Next I changed out my cutting blade to a black silhouette sketch pen. I used watercolour card in A4 and placed it on my cutting mat as the image shows, then sent it to the machine on the following settings...


Now you can colour your image in how ever you want to, you could use crayons, acrylic paints, felt tips, coloured pencils etc. I chose watercolour paint as I wanted to achieve an ombre effect...





The final thing was to pop it in to it's frame...


I love how this turned out! Bright and bold for on Freya's wall YAY!

I hope this inspires you to have a go at starting that gallery wall.

C x

you can also find me here...

blog
facebook
instagram
pinterest

PRODUCTS USED:


No comments:

Post a Comment