Tuesday 23 February 2016

Design Team Introduction :: Beverley Edwards

Hello Bev here, I am a stay at home mum to my two scrummy little Edwards, Poppy (5) and Chester (3). I also run my own small business, Love from Poppy from my little studio in Warrington.

Poppy was our first and much longed for child. We went through a lot to get her here and I knew once I had her I didn’t want to miss a minute! So I began thinking of a way I could earn money alongside being at home with her. I decided to train as a hairdresser, as I thought it would work perfectly with my Beauty Therapy qualification. But I hit a stumbling block in the fact that I wasn’t able to get the financial support to actually study.

I decided to take the money I already had in savings and bought myself a sewing machine. I've never taken a sewing class (except the ones you have to take at school and end up making a tea towel in order to pass your exams) but I had convinced myself it couldn’t be that hard. Could it?

Armed with my sewing machine, some material from an old top and a cup of tea, I sat down to teach myself how to sew. I googled and you-tubed into the small hours, and then back into the big hours. And slowly but surely me and my little sewing machine (which I had decorated with Cath Kidston stickers by this point) made an item that didn’t fall apart when it was pulled at the seams. Success!!

I introduced three ranges over time, which included a baby items line (items to make your changing bag a little brighter and organised). A handbag items line and a home line. In the home line, the personalised cushions and bunting are by far the most popular.

Hand drawing and cutting the individual letters for the cushions and bunting was labour intensive to say the least! So after some research I decided to make my biggest investment to date and bought a Silhouette Cameo. It was love at first sight. It was shiny and beautiful and I couldn’t wait to get started.  It hasn’t always been a harmonious relationship, there have been times when my cameo and I couldn’t be in the same room together, but a couple of years on I would never be without it. It saves me time and creates perfectly cut shapes and letters every single time.

I can not wait to share my makes with you over the next 12 months, but here are a few pictures of some of my favourite projects










1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear your story Beverley. I am so in awe of your sewing skills and am looking forward to working with you on the design team this year.

    ReplyDelete